Re: nvidia-kernel package: compilation failure with 2.6.21

On Sat July 7 2007 05:00:06 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Jim McCloskey wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I did a recent install of Debian etch on a system with an nVidia
> > graphics controller. I used module-assistant to install the nvidia
> > kernel module, and under kernel 2.6.18 from the install, that all
> > worked fine.
> >
> > A few days later, I upgraded to kernel package 2.6.18.2-686 (from
> > lenny) to resolve a problem with the on-board audio controller:
> >
> >  Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
> > (rev 01)
> >
> > The kernel upgrade did indeed resolve the problem with the audio
> > controller, but it meant a re-install of the nvidia kernel module. I
> > tried to do that as follows:
> >
> >  % aptitude install nvidia-kernel-common
> >  % module-assistant -i prepare
> >  % module-assistant a-i -t -f nvidia-kernel
> >
> > However, the build failed. The crucial error seems to be this (from
> > /var/cache/modass/nvidia-kernel-source.buildlog.2.6.21-2-686.1183784666):

> >   LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/nv/nvidia.o
> >   Building modules, stage 2.
> >   MODPOST 1 modules
> > FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol
> > 'paravirt_ops' make[4]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> > make[3]: *** [modules] Error 2
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.21-2-686'
> > NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
> > nvidia.ko failed to build!
> >
> > The compiler used was gcc-4.1 version 4.1.1 (the kernel seems to have
> > been compiled with 4.1.2), but the error-message seems to suggest that
> > the issue is in some sense legal rather than technical.
> >
> > (There is a similar bug report---No. 430577---against the
> > nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-71xx package.)
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this problem, or does it come from some
> > stupidity on my part?  I could use the nvidia installer, I suppose,
> > but I'd really prefer to do things the Debian way. Does anyone know of
> > a workaround?
>
> Extensively discussed here:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90214

Very informative thread, thanks for posting that. After following a few links
I ended up at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=419943 .
At the end of that page it says paravirt_ops is no longer a GPL-only export.
I'm very much looking forward to that filtering down into the debian kernel
for lenny. I just installed it yesterday and it's ready to go but gdm won't
fire up, I think that's an x problem though but I'll switch over to the nv
driver for now until I can get whatever needs sorting sorted.