Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

Jeff D wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, andy wrote:

Dear each

Iceweasel is telling me that I have a missing plugin, the JRE, which I need for a course. I have downloaded jre-6u1-linux-i586.bin (which is the appropriate plug-in), but:
(i) is this the best thing to be using on a Lenny/Sid system and
(ii) if so, how do I go about installing a *.bin file on my system?

Many thanks

The easiest way would be to make sure you have non-free in your /etc/apt/sources.list , run aptitude update and then aptitude install sun-java6-bin

Thanks

I've already done that - it still doesn't show up as working in any of the three browsers I use and when testing at the sun site, it reports that java6 is not installed. Hence, I want to pursue Martin's earlier suggestion re: symlinks, but cannot track down where sun-java6-jre was installed.