Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

Martin Marcher wrote:
Hi Martin

Thanks for this info - I wasn't aware of a native Debian install.

However, now that I have installed sun-java6-jre & bin the plug-in still
doesn't appear to work. Has this been your experience, and if so do you
have a suggestion on how to work this or ... ?

forgetting everytime that gmail doesn't handle mailing lists well.

make a symlink from your JRE_HOME (in your case the same as java home)
to you mozilla plugins directory

e.g ln -s $JAVA_HOME/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
~/.mozilla/<profile>/plugins

paths may differ but in general that's the manual way how to do that.
Also I suggest that you make a symlink something like

ln -s ~/actual_java_version ~/java

this way you will have a stable JAVA_HOME and just need to replace the
symlink ~/java points to everything else will follow automagically
then (which was the case when i was using linux as a desktop system on
all the boxes i used, so it seems quite stable)

Hi

Apologies if this sounds really dumb, but I can't track down where sun-java6-jre was installed, so can't really make any symlinks until I track it down.

Thanks