Re: lenny comfortable yet?

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 22:19 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
<snip>

> My daily must-haves really are mild: base system, a brower (lynx or
> links2), an editor, mutt, exim, fetchmail, and I like mc, and aptitude
> (or apt-get or even dselect or plain dpkg in a pinch), along with
> ppp/chat.  It wouldn't bother me if anything else stopped working for a
> while, but if I loose the ability to dial out, loose email, then I'm in
> difficulty.
>
> I know that, just like mutual funds, past performance does not guarantee
> future performance, but what has the experience been like for
> non-developers over the past couple of months?  Do people think that
> Lenny is ready for a desktop run by a knowledgeable user?

I can't speak to whether Lenny amd64 will solve your flash-related
issues, but Lenny itself is perfectly comfortable.  If anything,
personally I've been getting a bit frustrated again with the pace of
change in Lenny.  My purely unscientific,
based-on-nothing-more-that-feeling opinion is that Lenny so far is
lagging compared to the pace of change in Etch when Etch was the current
testing.  I've been debating switching to Sid, but I hesitate to take
that road since it's difficult (if not impossible; at least,
unsupported) to backtrack.  Or maybe switching to Ubuntu or trying
another distro or FreeBSD.

There was a burst of activity over the past few weeks in Lenny upgrades,
none of which caused me any problems whatsoever.  But it still seems
behind where I thought it would be by now.  OTOH, if you're worried
about instability in Lenny, so far x86 has been rock-solid.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions