Re: lenny comfortable yet?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:40:11PM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 7/6/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >
> >I ran Etch for about 6 months before it became stable since my new box
> >required it.  I'm runing amd64.
>
> I'm still on a (sniff) AMD  Thunderbird 1000 mhz box. :)
>
> I'll bet that going from a 486 to an AMD 64 is one hell of an improvement.
> :)

Yes and no.  For 99% of what I do, my 486 is fine.  Although, after
doing  a drive-shell game to get Etch on it (it only has 32 MB ram so
the installer doesn't work), its really much slower than sarge and
certainly slower than woody.  Text-mode scrolling (no framebuffer) and
cursor movement, as in arrow-down in mc or lynx, is jerky and slow.
OTOH, Net- or Open-BSD run great on it.  That 99% of what I do is
text-based.  Konquerer is too painful (the other 1%).  OTOH, now that
I've got an Athlon64 with 1 GB ram, and dual 80 GB drives (raid1 for the
system), I've got lots of room.  OTOH, Stuff just takes up more and more
memory.  OTOH, there are no other hands (from __Fiddler_on_the_Roof__)
:)

> I've been running lenny maybe a month (if not that long) and it's been
> pretty
> good. Etch I ran for quite sometime - probably over a year and watched it
> slowly go to stable. I switched sometime after the move.
>
> The biggest headaches are the sudden lack of 3d acceleration on the nvidia
> geforce fx5200 (and to think I just acquired the card about a month or two
> ago!),

I use the nvidia driver for my en7300GT so that I can get a good picture
when watching DVDs.  I forgot about the lack of nvidia modules in
testing.

> and the difficulty with the tetex to tex-live transition. I'm not a
> tex user (was
> but that was very lightweight "getting my feet wet" sort of use when I first
> was exploring
> Linux) of it but it seems to want to get installed, and last night's
> dist-uipgrade didn't go
> very well. I even ran out of disk space on my / partition. (It was small,
> but not *that* small.)

I already use TexLive.  What happened to your / partition?  How small
was it.  Is it only / or is it everything but swap and /home?

> I certainly don't want to have to install/configure a slew of
> internationalsation files for
> texlive/tetex or what have you - things like mongolian and vietnamese things
> are stuff I'm not
> anticipating I'd ever use.
>
> Is there an easy way to just remove the TeX related stuff without causing
> dependency
> problems (ISTR that kdvi and some other KDE things need it, and I don't want
> to have to remove al of KDE too)?

I can understand that anything like a dvi viewer may want Tex stuff but
not KDE in general.

Doug.