Re: RAD tool for debian?

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 03:50:45PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
>> RAD/rapid-application-development tool sought... (web page forms
>> interface to a database we define)
>
> For RAD, here's what I do:  write the documentation, then write the
> program in Python (possibly with IDLE) so it does what the docs say, and
> then see if there are any compute-bound bottlenecks.  Those sections I
> rewrite in FORTRAN (the translation is fairly simple).

[nice workflow, documentation first :) -- but RAD includes RAPID. coding in
python and fortran puts that out of reach. we're looking for a gizmo that
reads the tables (we may need to specify which tables relate to which others
-- has_a, has_many, etc) and produces web forms based on the data
structures: page with the invoice table shows 'person' popup menus in place
of the person_id field, for example.]

> For an html front-end to postgres, try www-pgsql.  I haven't tried it
> but the description in aptitude looks like what you may want.  It
> depends on what you mean by license-free.  Its free by the DFSG (its in
> the main section) but I don't know specifically what licence it is.
>
> Whenever I've needed a database, I've turned to postgres.  Ususally,
> though, its a spcific problem so I write the frontend in Python (usually
> CUI).

[yes, postgres rocks! rules, triggers, no license fees, and much more...]