RAD tool for debian?

RAD/rapid-application-development tool sought... (web page forms
interface to a database we define)

i've got a friend who's trying to get a license-free solution that'll
provide an html/web front-end to a database... similar to ms access,
but we're seeking 1) no licensing fees 2) an html interface, not a
proprietary interface. we're NOT looking for a cms like joomla, but
rather an engine for presenting forms to interact with a back-end
database.

we've tried to get Maypole installed, but run into cpan
dependency/'make test' snags; same for Jifty.

on debian 3.1, we're using postgres (not mysql) backend, and
phppgadmin for setting up the tables... any ideas?

--
will trillich
"The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great