Re: Submit bug reports to Debian or upstream project?

On 07/06/2007 11:40 AM, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:43:43AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> > _If you file a bug in Debian, don't send a copy to the
> > upstream software maintainers yourself, as it is possible
> > that the bug exists only in Debian. If necessary, the
> > maintainer of the package will forward the bug upstream._
> >
> > That does not tell me if it is preferable to submit it to Debian
> > or upstream.
> >

> Actually, it looks pretty clear that it *is* indeed preferable
> to submit to debian.  Quoting:
>   If necessary, the (debian) maintainer of the package will
>   forward the bug upstream.
>

>From that I can only assume that you are also stating a fact that
it is preferable to submit bugs to Debian and not the upstream
project. But you did not say so explicitly, only implicitly if at
all.

OT:
What you consider obvious may be quite vague to others, like me. :-)
Interpretation depends on the receiver's experiences and
assumptions. Here is how I read it (paraphrased with emphasis
added):

	*If* you file a bug in Debian, do not *also* file it with the
	upstream project, because the package maintainer will do so
	if necessary.

Do you see how that interpretation does not answer my question?

Thanks again for your response.

--
Glen