Re: Submit bug reports to Debian or upstream project?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:43:43AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> Is it preferable to submit a bug report to Debian or to the
> upstream project? Assume it is not a Debian only package, like
> GNOME for example.
>
> I have searched for the answer and found This:
>
> 	http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> 	_If you file a bug in Debian, don't send a copy to the
> 	upstream software maintainers yourself, as it is possible
> 	that the bug exists only in Debian. If necessary, the
> 	maintainer of the package will forward the bug upstream._
>
> That does not tell me if it is preferable to submit it to Debian
> or upstream.

I would think that you would send the bug to the people from whom you
received the package.  If its a debian package, send the bug to debian.
As they say, the bug may only exist in Debian.  The upstream people
won't want to track down a 'downstream' bug.

Doug.