Re: Purpose of a hypervisor (was Re: rock solid)

On 07/03/07 13:25, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:46:06PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/02/07 15:06, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 02:11:18PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

its almost boring...

May be true for stable; Neverthless Sid makes it all interesting!
my home server here runs etch with xen and 3 vm's (at the moment). I
Why?  Can't Linux's scheduler handle the load?

'cuz I can ;)

seriously though, here's what I've got:

Dom0: local file server (video, music, local backups)

     DomU1: firewall

I understand the need for a small, "separate" firewall.

     DomU2: dmz mail/imaps server
     DomU3: dmz apache server

the primary reason is as a testbed for me to learn stuff. It has the
nice feature of segmenting functionality without more machines
running.

But then you are trying to statically do (allocate CPU and RAM) what the kernel can do so much better.

And the chicks dig it!

I'm happy to learn the pros and cons of such a setup, but its hard to
beat the last one...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA