Re: Purpose of a hypervisor (was Re: rock solid)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 06:22:46PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/03/07 13:25, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >>Why?  Can't Linux's scheduler handle the load?
> >
> >'cuz I can ;)
> >
> >seriously though, here's what I've got:
> >
> >Dom0: local file server (video, music, local backups)
> >
> >     DomU1: firewall
>
> I understand the need for a small, "separate" firewall.
>
> >     DomU2: dmz mail/imaps server
> >     DomU3: dmz apache server
> >
> >the primary reason is as a testbed for me to learn stuff. It has the
> >nice feature of segmenting functionality without more machines
> >running.
>
> But then you are trying to statically do (allocate CPU and RAM) what
> the kernel can do so much better.

true and I'm sure it could be done better without my help. It did sort
of organically grow that way (never a good justification for
anything).

So I maintain that its good to keep our local fire server isolated by
operating the DMZ in a xen vm. But I will agree that its not necessary
to run seperate DomU's for mail and apache. And with multiple vm's
running their cron jobs over night at roughly the same time, dropping
one vm would lessen the load significantly (in this case, 25%).