Re: How to move the master boot record?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:33:09 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:33:09 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> I want to do so beacuse: now I'm still using Debian Sarge, which is
> installed in hda6; I want to install Debian Etch in hda9; then when I'm
> sure that everything is all right with Etch I want to boot from hda9, so
> hda6 can be formatted again.

Has anyone done this successfully?

I faced a similar problem, wrote to "linux.debian.user" for advice and
scored a zero response.

In my case I went ahead, made a backup of Sarge to a newly-created
partition, checked that I could boot into it and then ran a "dist-upgrade"
on my main Sarge partition.

Result:

- Etch boots and works perfectly (fortunately);

- Sarge boots (despite some "fatal" notifications during the boot);
  all the tested programs still work; the mouse does not. Running
  "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" achieved nothing.

For the record, I use LILO.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen