Re: How to move the master boot record?

On Saturday 30 June 2007 22:41, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:33:09 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:33:09 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > I want to do so beacuse: now I'm still using Debian Sarge, which is
> > installed in hda6; I want to install Debian Etch in hda9; then when I'm
> > sure that everything is all right with Etch I want to boot from hda9, so
> > hda6 can be formatted again.
>
> Has anyone done this successfully?
>
> I faced a similar problem, wrote to "linux.debian.user" for advice and
> scored a zero response.
>
> In my case I went ahead, made a backup of Sarge to a newly-created
> partition, checked that I could boot into it and then ran a "dist-upgrade"
> on my main Sarge partition.
>
> Result:
>
> - Etch boots and works perfectly (fortunately);
>
> - Sarge boots (despite some "fatal" notifications during the boot);
>   all the tested programs still work; the mouse does not. Running
>   "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" achieved nothing.
>
> For the record, I use LILO.
>
> Felix Karpfen

This is going back a bit, but all my Debian installs started off as Woody
3.0r2, and have been constantly upgraded. I had no mouse problems (ps2 mouse)
with the 2.4.27 kernel, but moving to a 2.6.8 kernel  caused problems.

I had to add to /etc/modules a couple of modules. I can't remember in which
order, but at first I had no mouse pointer showing at all. I modprobed one
module, then had the mouse pointer, but couldn't move it, then modprobed the
second module, and all was working ok. See the 2 modules below.

mousedev
psmouse

Don't know if this helps, but it fixed my problems at the time.

Nigel.