Re: How to move the master boot record?

On Saturday 30 June 2007 15:24:08 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On my PC, besides the swap partition, I have one partition, hda1, for MS
> >> Windows and another five for Linux: hda6, had7, hda8, hda9, hda10.
> >>
> >> At the moment the `boot partition' is hda6 and I want it to be, say,
> >> hda9. Sorry if I can'y use the right words.  Maybe I should say that the
> >> hda6 Grub boot loader is now installed to the master boot record of my
> >> hard drive whereas the hda9 boot loader is installed to the /dev/hda9
> >> partition?
>
> Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> writes:
> > There are more than one way to do this, but this will (should) work:
> >
> > #grub
> > grub>root (hd0,8)
> > grub>setup (hd0)
> > grub>quit
> >
> > hd0,8 = /dev/hda9, so you should be alright with those command.  Note
> > that the # and the grub> are the prompts.
>
> I tested it and it seems to work fine.  Only, I can't now restore the
> previous situation: I do:
>
>  # grub
>  grub > root (hd0,5)
>  grub > setup (hd0)
>  grub > quit
>
> , then reboot but the system can't get into hda6.  It's strange, I find no
> reason why it works with hda9 and not with hda6.  Please, any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

No idea.  If it works for /dev/hda9. then (providing the right files are on
the partition) then /dev/hda6 should work fine, and you're correct in calling
it (hd0,5).

The only thing I can think of is that the files that grub needs are missing,
but to be honest, it really doesn't matter where grub is sitting, as long as
you can tell it where to find all the different OS's on your machine, then
you're good to go.

So, in short, I don't quite understand why you're trying to do all this in the
first place.  As already mentioned, installing Etch will automatically find
the other systems and put them in the grub menu.

Joe