Re: FileSystem Question

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 05:29:58PM +0000, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:45:03PM +0000, Manon Metten wrote:
> >
> >I've never used it but you can probably use a CVS repository for this
> >more conveniently.
>
> I don't know nothing about CVS repositories. Can you explain a little
> more, please?

Hi Manon,

See the apt descriptions for subversion and cvs.  From the description
of cvs:
	CVS is a version control system, which allows you to keep old
	versions of files (usually source code), keep a log of who,
	when, and why changes occurred, etc.

As I understand it, a user will 'check out' a file from the cvs to work
on it.  While it is 'checked out', others can read that version of the
file but they can't 'check it out' to edit it.  The person who has it
checked out can then check the file back in with whatever changes they
made.  The cvs then keeps diffs and checkpoints so that the state of the
repository at any point in time can be recreated.  I.e. the question
"what did that file look like on June 15?" is a valid question that the
cvs can answer.

The whole cvs sits on top of a regular file system.  There's nothing
preventing root from directly editing a file owned by cvs.

I think that there are web-based interfaces to the cvs so that files can
be retreived over https as well.

This is all I know about cvs and it may not be accurate.

Doug.