Re: FileSystem Question

Manon Metten wrote:
Hi Sam,

ext3cow does this but it is not in debian repos for some reason....

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/02/0413253

Thanks for the link. I checked out ext3cow, but taking snapshots is
not exactly what I meant. SFS takes no snapshots. It sort of backs
up all files I save. IE: it does not overwrite an existing file, but creates
a new file every time I save it. The old file will be renamed and moved
to the .recycled directory. So this is much less overhead than
creating snapshots from time to time.

1. First save of ~/my_doc
2. Second save of ~/my_doc
    The existing ~/my_doc is moved to ~/.recycled/my_doc
    ~/my_doc is saved to another part of the hd
3. Third save of ~/my_doc
    The existing ~/my_doc is moved/as to ~/.recycled/my_doc$AAA
    ~/my_doc is saved to another part of the hd
4. Fourth save of ~/my_doc
    The existing ~/my_doc is moved/as to ~/.recycled/my_doc$AAB
    ~/my_doc is saved to yet another part of the hd
etc.

At this point there exist four copies of my_doc:

three in ~/.recycled
my_doc
my_doc$AAA
my_doc$AAB

and one in ~
my_doc

All this only occurs when I save some file. No snapshots.
Besides that, .recycled only allows file read access and
deletion, no modification of files. SFS takes care of all this.
I don't have to think of it at all. It only comes in handy if I
want to recover some data.

Manon.

I swear I have heard of something like that for ext3.  I though it was ext3cow.  Took me like 30 minutes to find it on google, lol.  hmm

Sam