Re: How to move the master boot record?

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> writes:

If I understand correctly, you have Sarge on a partition that you want to
preserve, while using a second partition on the same disk to install Etch.

Yes, that's right.

Once you're happy with the Etch install, you'll redo the Sarge partition
formatting to use with your new Etch install.

Well, no: once I'm happy with Etch (i.e., I've managed to install everything) I
want to install hda9 grub boot loader to the master boot record of the hard
drive, so that I can format hda6 when I need to (maybe to install Debian 4.1?
:)).

But you mentioned 5 partitions for Linux, the above is only two, so what are
the other 3 used for?  Will you need any of them for the Etch part, are they
used with Sarge, or used some other way?

In them other Linux systems are installed, to do tests (to test applications
before installing them).  Well, they're too many, I also want to resize them
and eliminate some.

You need the answers to the above, which will modify to some extent what you
do.  But I think what you do is simply install Etch, selecting hda9 as the
partition to install (the / filesystem for Etch), plus any of the other
partitions (or none) depending on the answer to the question.

When you get to Etch's grub installation step, it will detect the Windows and
Sarge installs and offer to setup grub in the master boot record for you.  It
should (if all works as expected) provide you with boot options for Windows,
Sarge and Etch.

[...]

When you're happy with Etch (shouldn't take too long!-), you just edit the
/boot/grub/menu.lst file for Etch to remove the section that boots Sarge and
change (if needed) the 'default' boot number to match the number position for
Etch in the boot section (look for lines beginning with 'title', near the end
of the file).  Reformat hda6 and you're done.

Yes, I could do as you say, but I'd prefer keeping the hda6 boot loader to the
mbr until Etch is complete in hda9.
Besides, I want to learn how to do all that because it may turn to be useful in
other circumstances: e.g. when you want to install MS Windows *after* Linux, I
suppose.

In that case, when asked during the Etch install about where to put grub for Etch, tell it to put it on hda9. Then, when it finishes, but *before* doing the reboot, use Alt-F2 or some such to open a shell command line in an available virtual console, determine where things are mounted by typing 'mount', cd to /???/boot/grub (??? is the mount point of hda9 on the install RAM disk) and copy down the boot stanza info created for hda9 from menu.lst. I'm not sure if this will be completely correct for the Sarge side, but it should be close.

When you reboot, you'll get the Sarge grub install, which knows nothing about etch (yet). Boot into Sarge as usuall, cd /boot/grub, edit menu.lst to add the info about Etch. You could also do this as described earlier by others, using the grub command. In either case, you should now have a valid Etch boot description for the Sarge loader.

Later, when all is well, you would boot Etch and run grub again to install it to the master boot record.

--
Bob McGowan