Re: Losing static ip address

Jeff wrote:
> From /etc/network/interfaces...
> auto eth0
> allow-hotplug eth0

That is unusual to have two entries.  I don't know if that is valid or
not but I have never seen such a configuration in the wild before.  I
suggest picking one or the other.  'auto' is enabled when the
/etc/init.d/networking script runs.  'allow-hotplug' is enabled when
the devices comes online.

The rest of the file looked okay to me.

> I can restart the network, and the static ip gets restored - only to be
> dropped again at some unpredictable time (usually seems to happen only
> after hours or days have passed).
>
> Any ideas as to why the static ip is being dropped and replaced by a
> DHCP call would be much appreciated.

Is there a dhclient process running?  I suspect so.

  ps -ef | grep dhclient

If so then that process is periodically getting a new DHCP address.
Find out why that process is getting started and fix it there.  It is
perhaps a leftover since before you modified the interfaces file and
after it was configured off nothing knew to kill it.

Bob