restarting pump (DHCP) automatically when network unavailable at boot time

On a machine in a local network, I have in my /etc/network/interfaces
file:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

But after a power outage, my machine sometimes restarts while the
network isn't available yet. In this case, I can no longer ssh to
it. And I can't reboot it remotely.

How can I make pump (the DHCP client I'm using) to try again
periodically? I think I can write a script that tests if pump
is running (with the "ps" command) and can run this script by
cron. But is there a better way?

Note: When I'm in front of the machine, I still want to be able to
use it when the network is not available (to do some local work,
while waiting for the network to come back).