Re: Losing static ip address

Bob Proulx wrote:
Jeff wrote:
From /etc/network/interfaces...
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0

That is unusual to have two entries.  I don't know if that is valid or
not but I have never seen such a configuration in the wild before.  I
suggest picking one or the other.  'auto' is enabled when the
/etc/init.d/networking script runs.  'allow-hotplug' is enabled when
the devices comes online.

The rest of the file looked okay to me.

I can restart the network, and the static ip gets restored - only to be dropped again at some unpredictable time (usually seems to happen only after hours or days have passed).

Any ideas as to why the static ip is being dropped and replaced by a DHCP call would be much appreciated.

Is there a dhclient process running?  I suspect so.

  ps -ef | grep dhclient

If so then that process is periodically getting a new DHCP address.
Find out why that process is getting started and fix it there.  It is
perhaps a leftover since before you modified the interfaces file and
after it was configured off nothing knew to kill it.

Bob

Good stuff, Bob. Thanks. I did indeed have a dhclient running. I killed it, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays dead :)

Jeff