Re: The Perfect Linux gaming Box

On Wed, 2007-27-06 at 12:34 -0400, Orestes leal wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I want that some of the members of the group comments something
> about hard core gaming boxes under Linux, what kind of configuration
> I need to play *ALL* Titles and *ALL* forms of games, 3d games like
> Doom3, etc in linux with a performance closely like win32 and DirectX.
>
> NOTE: CPU, VGA, MEMORY, etc.

I don't know about all titles, I play all the unreal tournament titles
starting with GOTY along with doom3 and quake4. These are the ones that
need hardware. I still play doom and quake3 (ioquake3 now) but these
don't need a lot of computer power but a decent video card is a plus.

I play return to castle wolfenstien once in a while too but find it
crashes after a while, I'm not sure why.

The unreal games all give me good performance but doom3 and quake4 need
more cpu and/or video card than I have to work at their best. I find
they run a bit clunky.

My specs..

CPU: AMD Athlon64 2800+
MEM: 512 Megs
VID: nVidia GeForce FX5700LE (128 Megs) (not high end)

After learning how to make these things work I find they work just as
well or better under linux than windows. We must remember though that a
lot of these games were not developed for linux and so the linux port
hasn't had the development that their windows counterparts have.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.. :)