apt-transport-https on etch

I'm trying to build from source apt-transport-https so it will work on
etch.
Currently there is an unstable package but it requires newer versions
of libc and gcc than the ones I want to use on this box.

I got the source by doing apt-get source apt-transport-https on an
unstable system, and it delivered the apt sources.

then I tried to build it.

Question 1. i'm unable to build apt-ftparchive because it complains
that
Must have db2 to build apt-ftparchive

I was able to find libdb1-compat_2.1.3-9_i386.deb and libdb4.3-
dev_4.3.29-8_i386.deb and libdb4.4-dev_4.4.20-8_i386.deb
but none of these packages seems to be waht the build script is
looking for. What do I need to build apt-ftparchive?

Also, after compiling it, I have a bunch of binaries in bin/
I tried "make install" and it said:

make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop

Why is there no install target?

is there an easier way to get apt-transport-https on etch?