Iceape chokes on PDFs

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]

After I dist-upgraded sarge to etch, I switched from
the Mozilla binary Seamonkey to Etch's Iceape.
When Seamonkey got a PDF, it would open a dialog
to open with Kpdf or save.
Iceape just displays an empty page.  The title
bar says
<name>.pdf (application/pdf Object) - Iceape

In Preferences, under Navigator Helper Applications,
application/pdf says When encountered, Open these
files with kpdf %s.  Editing, I see it's really
/usr/bin/kpdf %s.  But when I click OK, I get a Warning
dialog.  "? Iceape can handle this type internally.  For
such types, a Helper Application will only be invoked
if the server requests external handling."

Obviously, Iceape can not "handle this type internally"
nor would I want it to.  How do I disable this brokenness
and restore the Mozilla functionality?

Cameron