Re: stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software? (apparently solved)

Prismatic Plasma wrote:
On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:02, Prismatic Plasma wrote:
memtest86 tests 5 and 8 fail with consistency. They give several failures,
all in the range 770-880 MB range (1 GB stick). The exact addresses change
from pass to pass, but always remain in that range. The other tests reveal
no problems.

At this point, it's definitely a hardware problem. Can I rule out a
configuration problem? What are the chances of it being mobo or cpu rather
than ram?

Using the faster memory configuration (CS4-4-4-12), upped voltage to 2.0 V, and put memory in second slot seems to have solved the problem. memtest86 finds no errors, and I was able to compile some large programs without any trouble. All 3 of these changes seem to be required. The first memory slot on the mobo appears to be bad.

Was there a userforum or user review from where you bought the board? I usually only do mobo's that have a large number of reviews, to find problems like this.

Hugo