stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software?

I've had this problem for a while, and I can't seem to solve or even fully
diagnose what's wrong. The 2 most common symptoms are:
1) random segmentation faults during compiling. It's most apparent (and
annoying) during long compiles. There's sometimes an assembler message
instead, complaining about unknown variables or junk at end of line. In the
error message it's often apparent that something got corrupted by one
character. The file is usually a header and it isn't corrupted on disk.

2) occasionally the system goes wild and thrashing, sucking up nearly all cpu.
Sometimes it causes the machine to lock up, but usually I can kill the
process that triggered the problem and everything settles down after 10
seconds or so. If I restart the process, sometimes everything's okay,
sometimes it goes wild again.

Is this a familiar problem? Is it the mobo or ram? Or is it a software issue
messing up virtual memory? My bios is updated, and I've tried several kernels
in the 2.6 line, including a couple of custom compiles. The problem exists
even in single-user mode, so it doesn't have anything to do with the
windowing system. I'm currently using kernel 2.6.21, etch amd-64, ext3 fs,
and sata disk (WD Cavalier, I think).

Please help  :(