Re: stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software? (apparently solved)

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:02, Prismatic Plasma wrote:
> memtest86 tests 5 and 8 fail with consistency. They give several failures,
> all in the range 770-880 MB range (1 GB stick). The exact addresses change
> from pass to pass, but always remain in that range. The other tests reveal
> no problems.
>
> At this point, it's definitely a hardware problem. Can I rule out a
> configuration problem? What are the chances of it being mobo or cpu rather
> than ram?

Using the faster memory configuration (CS4-4-4-12), upped voltage to 2.0 V,
and put memory in second slot seems to have solved the problem. memtest86
finds no errors, and I was able to compile some large programs without any
trouble. All 3 of these changes seem to be required. The first memory slot on
the mobo appears to be bad.

Thanks all.