Re: IPW3945 With Etch

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:10:08 +0200
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2007, Jose Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> > > I was able to get it working but only after enabling SSID
> > > broadcasting on the AP.  This is odd but it works.  I wonder
> > > why this is?
> > >
> > > -Tom
> >
> > I don't know the technical reason whatsoever, just know it
> > happens out of my own experience. The point is: why on earth
> > would you want to hide the ssid? Certainly not as a security
> > measure. Even worse, depending on how crowded your area is,
> > you may end up with some of your neighbours dwelling in the
> > same channel as you are for they don't "see" you, interfering
> > your precious data.
> >

> Presumably to reduce the chance that people nearby will use up
> your bandwidth.
>
> From the online documentation for my Netgear DG834G:
>
> 	"The default SSID is Wireless, but NETGEAR strongly
> recommends that you change your networks Name (SSID) to a
> different value."

Changing and hiding the name of the station is not the
same thing. The security value of both things is, however, zero.
Broadcasting the ssid was never intended to be a security measure.
Have a look at the following:

"The six dumbiest ways to secure a wireless LAN":

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Funny video of somebody cracking a *WPA* protected network:

http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security/vulnerability-assessment/aircrack/whax-aircrack-wpa/whax-aircrack-wpa.html

General information about wireless networking:

http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi#Wi-Fi_Security_Myths