Re: IPW3945 With Etch

On 27 Jun 2007, Jose Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:10:08 +0200

[snip]

> > Presumably to reduce the chance that people nearby will use up
> > your bandwidth.
> >
> > From the online documentation for my Netgear DG834G:
> >
> > 	"The default SSID is Wireless, but NETGEAR strongly
> > recommends that you change your networks Name (SSID) to a
> > different value."
> >

> Changing and hiding the name of the station is not the
> same thing. The security value of both things is, however, zero.
> Broadcasting the ssid was never intended to be a security measure.
> Have a look at the following:
>
> "The six dumbiest ways to secure a wireless LAN":
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

[snip]

I take the point about changing and hiding the name are different
things. However, as some of the commenters on the blog cited by you
point out, the situation may be different for a home LAN from a larger
or commercial site. Neighbours may connect to a broadcast ESSID even
without meaning to; I've done this myself in the past and so have our
neighbours, who kindly advised me of the fact.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian