Re: Any ksh Raw binaries Out there that work for linux i386?

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 06:39:31PM -0400, Orestes leal wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I need ksh (The Korn Shell), but in binary form, what site you can recommend me to download this binary version
> of ksh for linux i386, a web or ftp site with this file it's well accepted.
>
> NOTE: I know that it's in the repository but I need the raw binary for 386.

You can easily extract the raw binary out of the .deb file:

    $ cd /tmp
    $ wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/ksh/ksh_93r-1_i386.deb
    # it's about 1.1 Mb
    $ dpkg --extract ksh_93r-1_i386.deb /tmp/kshstuff
    $ ls -l /tmp/kshstuff/bin/ksh93

Obviously you don't have to use the US mirror, there are others:
    http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fk%2Fksh%2Fksh_93r-1_i386.deb&md5sum=e25b1f0123cd96ced834e12cb1b492f8&arch=i386&type=main

If you're doing it on a non-debian system, you can still extract it:
    $ ar x ksh_93r-1_i386.deb
    $ mkdir kshstuff
    $ cd kshstuff
    $ tar -xvf ../data.tar.gz
    $ ls -l /tmp/kshstuff/bin/ksh93

Obviously, you will still need the shared libraries it depends on for it
to actually work. And possible other run-time support files. But most
Linux systems should have that available.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/