Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com>  is reported to have said:

I'll mention some other stuff for you to ponder.

There, usually, is no need to reboot the system.  When working on
networking you can restart networking, after making changes to the
interfaces file by doing as root  /etc/init.d/networking restart.

$ ifconfig (show what interfaces are up)

The dhcp, in the interfaces file, is the command to get access to your
AP. I have to assume that the netinstall includes the dhcp client.

Wayne

I gave up temporarily on network installation and downloaded the iso files for approximately 20 CDROM's. There was quite a few difficulties getting past system hangs and having to use the rescue mode. It seems that any install failure requires the user to go back to the partitioner and reformat the / volume. Even though the basic system has been installed, it seems that the installer cannot pick up where it failed. The installer also hung badly on selinix-policy-refpolicy-targeted file (I may have misspelled this). The first attempt that got to package selection had desktop system, laptop, and standard system. That was about 500 packages. That failed.

Back to the partitioner, this time I only selected laptop system and standard system. That was less than a hundred packages so I got the basic system installed.

Now I can boot the Thinkpad 390 into Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 R0  (etch).

Unfortunately when I attempted to use aptitude to install some small packages such as bzip2, the aptitude program did not like the MD5SUM of the first CDROM. I am not too concerned about the error but would like to get around it or correct it so I can continue installation of the packages on an individual or custom basis. Can I read packages off the CDROM's and use apt-get or dpkg instead? Will an aptitude -f install work to get past the alleged error?

Oh well, at least I have the basic system back. I also have mutt and vi already installed!