Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

Gayle Lee Fairless(fairless@ieee.org) is reported to have said:
>    Although I would have replied sooner; there was a death in the family.

Sorry for your loss.

> Gayle Lee Fairless(fairless@ieee.org) is reported to have said:
> >
> > Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com>  replied:

<--<snip>-->

> >>    Then I hope the US Robotics card will work, or I get lucky with the
> >> Belkin adapter!
>
> >You may be in luck after all.
>
> > A google for "US Robotics USR5410 Linux" came up with a review that
> > wasn't too good, but the second one you might like. The headline is
> > "US Robotics goes Linux" and your 5410 in included in the writeup.
> > <http://www.ameinfo.com/32533.html>
>

> I found it and the reference to Linuxant and their product, DriverLoader:
>
> (quote off www.Linuxant.com)
>
> DriverLoader is a revolutionary compatibility-wrapper allowing standard
> Windows NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) drivers shipped by
> hardware vendors to be used as-is on Linux x86 systems  ....
>
> (end of quote)
>
> It appears that the program supports both the Belkin USB wireless device
> and
> the US Robotics USR5410 PCMIA card.  I have to hook it up and find out
> under
> both Linux and Windows XP Pro.

I try to stay away from the NDIS wrappers but if you have a card
and thats the only way....

<--<snip>-->

> I learned enough vi to naviage through a text file and make simple
> changes.
> Although I have mutt on my Debian sarge box, I do not understand it as well
> as I do vi.  The messages to root go through mutt.  I also have seen and
> used
> a version of emacs on the Amiga.

Mutt is a command line Mail User Agent (MUA) and it uses vim, an
expandad vi, to write/reply to mail.  IMHO these are 2 of the most
useful apps.

Try "aptitude show mutt" | "apt-cache show mutt"  & "aptitude|apt-cache
show vi".

IIRC the netinstall uses the nano editor because of its small size.

<--<snip>-->

> I was able to install a baic Debian GNU/Linux etch system on the
> Thinkpad with the official network installation CDROM.  Since I was
> not connected to the Internet, I need to know how to get network setup
> working and start installing packages.

'If' the drivers were installed correctly: iwconfig Should show something
installed.

{TP 770, running a USB wireless adapter }

$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"Mtntop_AP"  Nickname:"Mtntop_AP"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:B5:11:37:1F
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power:18 dBm
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality=25/92  Signal level=-66 dBm  Noise level=-91 dBm

If a device shows up then the driver is loaded.  Then you have to configure
your /etc/network/interfaces file.  See man interfaces.

{ the above 770's interfaces file}

$cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
   up route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo
    down route del -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev lo

# The primary network interface
# Ashton USB Dongle
#   NOTE:  all setup for this USB Dongle is is in /etc/wlan/
#   and the startup script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng-pre-up
#   and down with the /etc/network/if-post-down.d/linux-wlan-ng-post-down
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Once you have the above interfaces file done then to connect to your
AP do first.
/etc/init.d/networking force-reload
then
$ ifup (interface name from iwconfig)

> I looked
> at Martin Kraft's Debian maintainer notes on fluxbox.  Did you have to
> install a patch
> to get yours working?

I did not install any flux patches.  Note I am running lenny/Testing not
etch/stable.

I'll leave it there until we know if the wrappers got the drivers installed
correctly.

I'll mention some other stuff for you to ponder.

There, usually, is no need to reboot the system.  When working on
networking you can restart networking, after making changes to the
interfaces file by doing as root  /etc/init.d/networking restart.

$ ifconfig (show what interfaces are up)

The dhcp, in the interfaces file, is the command to get access to your
AP. I have to assume that the netinstall includes the dhcp client.

Wayne

--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...