Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

Gayle Fairless(perfess@msic.dia.mil) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com>  is reported to have said:

<--<snip>-->

>                =================================
>

> I gave up temporarily on network installation and downloaded the iso
> files for approximately 20 CDROM's.  There was quite a few difficulties
> getting past system hangs and having to use the rescue mode.  It seems
> that any install failure requires the user to go back to the partitioner
> and reformat the / volume.  Even though the basic system has been
> installed, it seems that the installer cannot pick up where it failed.
> The installer also hung badly on selinix-policy-refpolicy-targeted file
> (I may have misspelled this).  The first attempt that got to package
> selection had desktop system, laptop, and standard system.  That was
> about 500 packages.  That failed.
>
> Back to the partitioner, this time I only selected laptop system and
> standard system.  That was less than a hundred packages so I got the
> basic system installed.
>
> Now I can boot the Thinkpad 390 into Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 R0  (etch).

Now your on your way!

> Unfortunately when I attempted to use aptitude to install some small
> packages such as bzip2, the aptitude program did not like the MD5SUM of
> the first CDROM.  I am not too concerned about the error but would like
> to get around it or correct it so I can continue installation of the
> packages on an individual or custom basis.  Can I read packages off the
> CDROM's and use apt-get or dpkg instead?  Will an aptitude -f install
> work to get past the alleged error?
Yes, it should.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out the CDROM entries.
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot \
#    i386 Binary-1 (20040919)]/ stable contrib main

Then add these, if you haven't already, below them.

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main

Then do the update/upgrade

aptitude update ; aptitude -y upgrade

There have been quite a few fixes to etch since it was released, at least here.

> Oh well, at least I have the basic system back.  I also have mutt and vi
> already installed!

Don't forget to take a look at vim, the vi with wheels.... :-)

Hope this gets out (with the correct address).  I have been have a
problem sending mail since the 23rd.  I think I have it back but this
is my first test mail.

Regards

Wayne

--
Computer Science: solving today's problems tomorrow.