Re: stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:23:09PM +0000, Prismatic Plasma wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2007 15:42, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[some stuff about witching sticks around...]

> Unfortunately, I have only 1 compatible with this machine.  [sidebar: kicking
> self in head while shouting, "Always buy 2 sticks so you can do tests like
> this. Always buy 2 sticks so you can do tests like this...]

well, you can always decide its time to upgrade" to more
memory... that way if it ends up being the memory, you've got another
one. if its not, then you get a nice fat bonus out of it all ;)

seriously, though, I guess before you spend money, check everythign
else out first. I've lost track of the beginning of this thread, bear
with me. Check all of the following:

1. power supply voltages. Install lmsensors and set it up and then
make sure your voltages are in spec. If any of them are more than say
5% out, then that could very well be your problem.

1.a check your cooling situation and temperatures.

2. pull any and all unnecessary hardware and repeat your tests with
different combinations. watch your voltages while doing this too...

3. put your one memory stick in different slots, if you have them.

4. other stuff I can't think of? IOW, go through all the hardware
stuff you can test without buying anything.

I always find that hardware problems are NOT the thing I think they
are. heh. Last one I ran across was a bad agp video card. machine
wouldn't boot. I assumed it was the mobo cause I put *everything* into
another mobo and it all booted just fine. The only thing I hadn't
moved was the video card... the "faulty" board has no onboard video,
so I guess my brain didn't make the leap. Anyway, it wasn't until
after I had purchased another mobo which *also* wouldn't boot that I
finally realised the video card was the common factor and the
culprit. Later examination shows a cap that's all bulging and probably
toast... I wonder if I can fix it <cackle cackle>.

> What's reasonably safe and worthwhile to play with in the timings? Default
> bios gives me 400 MHz, CL5-5-5-12 (I think there's three 5's.). But stick
> says PC2 6400 (800 MHz I presume), CL4-4-4-12. When I try these values,
> there's no change in stability. Is there some other combination that might
> work? There's a large amount of possible combinations.

sorry, don't know.