Re: stability problem; Asus M2N-MX mobo AMD 64; etch; is it hardware or software?

On Monday 25 June 2007 15:42, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > Do you mean bad ram? Or is it a timing issue from bios that need
> > twiddling? The machine's been flakey like this since I got it.
>
> either one. They just sound like memory problems to me. I see you've
> already messed with the voltage. maybe the timings are the issue. If
> you have spare ram sticks around, start playing around with them in
> different positions/combinations (make notes -- I have to or I get
> confused) and see if you can figure out if one is bad. If you don't
> have spares, but have more than one instaleld and can live with less
> than your present ram, you can pull one and then other too.

Unfortunately, I have only 1 compatible with this machine.  [sidebar: kicking
self in head while shouting, "Always buy 2 sticks so you can do tests like
this. Always buy 2 sticks so you can do tests like this...]

What's reasonably safe and worthwhile to play with in the timings? Default
bios gives me 400 MHz, CL5-5-5-12 (I think there's three 5's.). But stick
says PC2 6400 (800 MHz I presume), CL4-4-4-12. When I try these values,
there's no change in stability. Is there some other combination that might
work? There's a large amount of possible combinations.