Re: Purge leaves some files

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:09:39AM -0400, Matthew K Poer wrote:
> I suspect that the package maintainers neglected the full purging script. This
> seems to be the case with a number of packages that I have encountered. They
> either do not fully remove the binaries, libraries, and documentation, or
> else they do not remove menu entries, /etc/foo, and especially entries
> in /etc/alternatives.
>
> You should probably file a bug report against the package, and it should get
> fixed quickly and easily enough. I assume that maintaining a package is a
> sometimes difficult and sometimes tedious process, so something like the
> configuration removal/purging script could be easily overlooked.

IIRC, last year, Lars Wizenius, friend of Linus Torvalds, a Debian developer,
created a QA tool called piuparts to check various issue like the one
you mention. IIRC someone may be using it on all packages and that
effort should help address this issue. But you can try it yourself and
even file bugs.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|