Scripting Apt-Get (pop-up screens, e.g. with kernel updates)

All,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there's an easy way, when using `apt-get upgrade`, to get around the pop-up configuration screens that occur with some updates.  One example of this is with a kernel update.  It appears that the kernel update wants to inform you that you should reboot soon, and unfortunately the colorful blue and red screen cannot be circumvented with the usual ways.  I tried this:

> apt-get -y update
> apt-get -y upgrade -or- apt-get -y --force-yes upgrade

Neither of these work.  It seems like I might be able to get around this screen by manipulating either some apt-get configuration, or some dpkg configurations, but I'm completely unaware of where this information may be held.

Thanks for any help!