Re: Scripting Apt-Get (pop-up screens, e.g. with kernel updates)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:23:32AM -0400, Michael Matthews wrote:
> All,
>
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there's an easy way, when using
> `apt-get upgrade`, to get around the pop-up configuration screens that occur
> with some updates.  One example of this is with a kernel update.  It appears
> that the kernel update wants to inform you that you should reboot soon, and
> unfortunately the colorful blue and red screen cannot be circumvented with the
> usual ways.  I tried this:
>
> > apt-get -y update
> > apt-get -y upgrade -or- apt-get -y --force-yes upgrade
>
> Neither of these work.  It seems like I might be able to get around this screen
> by manipulating either some apt-get configuration, or some dpkg configurations,
> but I'm completely unaware of where this information may be held.

Most packages use debconf for this - so you'll need to:
    # dpkg-reconfigure debconf

And you should be able to choose the "noninteractive" interface. This
won't ask any questions at all.

The above will change the system-wide default - if you just want to
change it for a single invocation of apt, set the DEBIAN_FRONTEND
environment variable:
    # DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install whatever

Hope this helps

PS: Have a look at the debconf(7) man page (in the debconf-doc package)
- should be useful for you.

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/