Re: Purge leaves some files

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:46:58AM +0200, Torok Balint <toba12@freemail.hu> was heard to say:
> Thank you everyone for the help I received.
>
> I have tried to install/purge the same applications with
> aptitude on another computer and all went well. I conclude
> that the problem came into existance becouse apt-get did not
> purge the package dependencies along with the original
> package. Apt-get tried to purge only the "original" package,
> but left its dependencies intact.

  Actually, aptitude won't purge the dependencies unless you pass
the command-line argument --purge-unused.  So your problem is just
some packages that didn't get removed, not configuration files
left behind.

> Now the problem is there, how can I correct it? How can I
> delete the leftover files? I should determine somehow what
> where the demendencies, and purge them too with apt-get?
> Would this delete the leftover files to?

  Easiest way to get rid of the leftover files is to run 'dpkg -S' on
them and find out which package they belong to, then purge those
packages.  That doesn't guarantee you've got all the dependencies, though.

  Daniel