Re: how to find the specs of a monitor

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>> I am trying to setup a dual screen from a laptop with another LCD
>> monitor. However, this new monitor came without any manuals,
>> documentation etc., I know that it is working but I just dont know the
>> specs. How can I find out what its Horizontal frequency and vertical
>> refresh rates etc. are, so that I input them into the monitor section of
>> xorg.conf file?
>>
>> If it matters, the laptop as such runs Etch (stable).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> You got some useful info, but seemingly can't read the specs.
> I suggest you connect it as your *only* monitor, and use the
> EDID info from it.

I am trying to connect the external monitor to a laptop. I dont think there
is an option to switch off laptop's monitor and switch on only the external
monitor. At this place, I do not have access to another desktop.

> I think that the read-edid is informative, but wanted a more
> complete dump. Today is the first I heard of it. But, in any
> case, I am working on a program to dump everything in it.
> If you need a prelim. version, I can shoot you source, or
> an executable. Contact me off-list.

You mean you are working on a standalone program which gives complete info
of the monitor specs? or you are working on a program which extracts
information from read-edid and then gives the specs of the monitor? Sorry,
you got me lost with the above paragraph. In any case, I would appreciate
if you can email the source and the executable.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/