Re: Got a boot error when starting up

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:00:03PM -0700, yong lee wrote:
> I am not a Linux expert. I hope someone would kindly
> help me or give me some suggestions to fix the
> problem.
>
> I just installed a pre-made/customized Linux 2.6.x
> kernel. I converted its installation package from the
> .rpm format to a .deb format using alien command.
> After the installation and a reboot, the machine hung
> and shrew the following errors:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or
> unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
> fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Its bad enough to try to use non-debian applications (rpms) but to try
to use a non-debian kernel rpm when the debian fhs will likely differ?

The problem in this case is probably a mismatch in the initrd: the
kernel doesn't have the module to mount the root device built-in.

Backup.

Why do you need a non-debian-standard kernel?  What problem are you
trying to solve?

Doug.