Got a boot error when starting up

Hi,

I am not a Linux expert. I hope someone would kindly
help me or give me some suggestions to fix the
problem.

I just installed a pre-made/customized Linux 2.6.x
kernel. I converted its installation package from the
.rpm format to a .deb format using alien command.
After the installation and a reboot, the machine hung
and shrew the following errors:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Please help. Many thanks

Yong

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?