Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:

>  OK, I see, libgtk2.0-0 might be difficult to avoid on a desktop system
>  and it depends on libcupsys2 in Lenny and Sid. However, the foomatic-*
>  packages do not seem to depend on any CUPS packages. foomatic-filters
>  and foomatic-filters-ppds both recommend cupsys, but that should only be
>  a problem if you have told your package manager to install recommended
>  packages automatically.

I lied (about resting my case), sorry.  I do have libgtk2.0-0 and
libgtk2.0-common installed, which I don't consider a problem.
"aptitude upgrade" runs clean without trying to drag anything else
in.  Fine.  Small price to pay.

No, I haven't done anything to apt.conf, and this is a system
installed with Desktop Environment de-selected on install.

If I were paranoid, I'd be suspicious somebody slipped a DD a bribe.  :-P
CUPS is beginning to look like the crapware that pays to get installed
on Windows machines.  I can see no reason for it when lpr(ng) is quite
capable of doing the job in its place.

Honest, I'm trying not to whine :-P, and I really am grateful I've
such a great, clean system.  I'd just like to keep it that way, and
the packaging system+CUPS+Gnome are not helping.  Fluxbox is a
perfectly good wm, and lprng is a perfectly good spooler.  Why CUPS is
continually after its ass is puzzling (not to mention infuriating).

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292