Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

S. Keeling wrote:

> So, perhaps ca. two thousand, six hundred, and ninety five files
> which have nothing to do with my printer?  At least they're all
> gzipped ...

Astonishing. I've never understood the reason for having CUPS at
all (being a happy lprng user) but I had no idea it was *this*
bad. Surely at least the package maintainer should have realised
that something absurd was going on?

>>> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>>> Considering all the confusion and myriad pleas from people
>>> trying to get CUPS working on their systems, should we really
>>> be going down this road?  CUPS has made a mess of printer
>>> configuration.

Agreed. We do not have a "user vote" system in Debian, but if we
had one, my vote would be to remove all dependencies from packages
that tend to make CUPS the default print system. I've posted about
this before..

Regards, Jan