Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

Larry Irwin <larryi@ccamedical.com>:
>  I've got about 300 servers out there using lprng.
>  My 1st run-in with cups gave me some surprises.
>  1) Removing cups generally removes X, desktop, etc...

That's one of the best reasons I can think of for not installing it in
the first place.

>  So! If you want lprng... - after a fresh install of linux:
>  1) Stop the cups processes:
>  for i in /etc/init.d/cups*; do; $i stop; done
>  2) Edit the init scripts for cups and add the line "exit 0" at the top of
>  each one, effectively disabling cups.
>   vi /etc/init.d/cups*
>  3) install lprng
>  4) install your home-grown lprng management tools.

So, in other words, Debian sans CUPS isn't possible.  You may not have
to actually run it, but you have to have it installed.  That's
ridiculous.  This is viral software.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292