Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

JWS <jstumpel@planet.nl>:
>  S. Keeling wrote:
>
> > So, perhaps ca. two thousand, six hundred, and ninety five files
> > which have nothing to do with my printer?  At least they're all
>
>  Astonishing. I've never understood the reason for having CUPS at

I've never liked it from the first time I saw it.  It's just so
un-*nix like, it makes my blood boil.

>  Agreed. We do not have a "user vote" system in Debian, but if we

We do.  It's called popcon.  However, I suspect the results are
heavily weighted in favour of the *buntu crowd.

>  had one, my vote would be to remove all dependencies from packages
>  that tend to make CUPS the default print system. I've posted about

I still think we need something along the lines of
"--prefers-subsystem=blah".  I'm very thankful that I can still get a
system that's not loaded down with Desktop Environment stuff I don't
want, and instead manually haul in what I prefer.  However, it's
extremely difficult to keep it that way when any random "aptitude
install" wants to drag in stuff I don't want, replacing what I went
out of my way to get.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292