Re: switch from xserver-xorg-video-i810 to -intel and unsupported modes

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 07:31:16PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:32:40AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > I'm trying to configure a monitor my wife purchased for her machine
> >
> > It is a flat panel lcd with a native mode of
> > 1440x900@60hz. Unfortunately, I've run up against problem similar to
> > [0] in xorg with the i810 driver (she's running etch). I have hacked her
> > xorg.conf to death using different modelines (from various sources,
> > including the EDID information from the monitor itself) with no
> > results. I have also played with 915resolution [1] to patch up the
> > vBIOS to support the required resolution, but unfortunately, I can't
> > get any of the modes to provide the right clock rate (with or without
> >

> Would xresprobe (recommended by xserver-xorg) help xorg detect this
> automatically?

maybe, but I kind of doubt it. The i810 driver (AIUI) gets its
resolution informatino from the video BIOS which doesn't have complete
information on the capabilities of the card. 915resolution basically
tweaks the video BIOS (in ram only) so report different available
resolutions. But it doesn't always work.

I've been through a whole host of other attempts and I'm pretty sure
that I've exhausted the possibilities. I'm now migrating the wife up
to sid... heh heh. The more I've researched it, the more it appears
that the problem is solved in sid. I'll report back.