Re: switch from xserver-xorg-video-i810 to -intel and unsupported modes

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 06:34:51PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 07:31:16PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:32:40AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > I'm trying to configure a monitor my wife purchased for her machine
> > >
> > > It is a flat panel lcd with a native mode of
> > > 1440x900@60hz. Unfortunately, I've run up against problem similar to
> > > [0] in xorg with the i810 driver (she's running etch). I have hacked her
> > > xorg.conf to death using different modelines (from various sources,
> > > including the EDID information from the monitor itself) with no
> > > results. I have also played with 915resolution [1] to patch up the
> > > vBIOS to support the required resolution, but unfortunately, I can't
> > > get any of the modes to provide the right clock rate (with or without

[...]
> I've been through a whole host of other attempts and I'm pretty sure
> that I've exhausted the possibilities. I'm now migrating the wife up
> to sid... heh heh. The more I've researched it, the more it appears
> that the problem is solved in sid. I'll report back.

so I've moved her up to sid (a *totally* painless process BTW) and I
can now get better resolution choices for this monitor, but no luck at
the native 1440x900. It will do the resolution and the monitor (which
will shutdown on bad inputs) reports 1440x900@60hz in its little
OSD. But the placement and size are bad and there appears to be no
fix. Regardless we've now got 1280X768 and it looks gorgeous, so she'
s happy.