Re: The utility of alien (Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org)

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. As I mentioned
before, I'v already removed the rpm OOo files and installed the 2.2.0
OOo backport. It runs fine.

I see your point of view that it's better to search for some alternatives
if I can't find a deb substitute for an rpm package than to possibly
mess up my Debian system. I rather stick to the Debian way and
keep my system clean.

I was totally unaware of all you explained, but now, I can't think of
no good reason any more to use an .rpm package, especially since
there are over 18,000 Debian packages.

Greetings and thanks again for your explanation and the time you
spent on it.

Manon.