Revert to simple Window Manager

Hi,

    I'm currently using the Gnome Desktop environment.  As I learn to
use Linux/GNU more, I find that I want to slim down my computer as much
as possible.  Hence, I would like to use just a window manager instead
of a full GUI.  Is it possible to revert (maybe, apt-get remove gnome)
my GUI and simply use a window manager, or will I need to do a complete
reinstall?  Will removing the GUI (Gnome) break my system?  Are there
any links on the web that anyone has that discusses this issue?  Thanks.
~Telly