Re: sed fails to upgrade on debian sid; file date of 1969?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 08:36:13PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> >>Thanks. That did the trick. Even though fsck claimed to have fixed a
> >>bunch of stuff (inodes & other things), should I worry or take care with
> >>anything else?
> >
> >As always, it depends.  What caused the filesystem to corrupt?  Is there
> >anything in lost+found?
> >

> Two files. One is a makedev text file (from /usr/share/doc?) about the
> program and the author. The other is a binary file. Can run it.

MAKEDEV is in /sbin and is a shell script (text file) that creates
device nodes in /dev

There is /usr/share/doc/makedev that has a changelog and copyright file.

Do these files still exist where they should?

If you can run that binary, run it as --help or -h.  If that doesn't
tell you what it is, try viewing ith with mc's viewer and search for
english phrases (things like built-in error messages); try searching for
"usage".

What this all means is that while e2fsck has fixed the filesystem so
that it is consistant and mountable, in the process you have lost files.
The problem is that unless you're running something like samhain or
tripwire you won't know exactly what has changed.  This is one reason
that I run samhain.

Its also why I switched from ext3 to JFS.

In any event, unless you can track everything down, be prepared for a
reinstall.  In fact, I would plan ahead for one: ensure that you create
a new full backup of your data and DO NOT overwrite your most recent
backup prior to this corruption.  Your system may run for some time
until a missing or corrupted file needs to be accessed then BOOM.  So
plan for it.  You could even take the time now to make a custom CD
(using debian-cd) of all the packages that you have installed so that
the reinstall only takes 20 minutes or so.

Good luck.

Doug.